Saturday 30 March 2019

Kitchen Chair Padded Seat Cushions

I love William Morris fabric.  So when I saw this in Immanuels in Burnley I could not resist.  It is Willow Bough, as seen every Friday night on Gogglebox with Giles and Nattie.

After a good few years of debate the old work top in the kitchen was replaced with a round table and two chairs from the YMCA charity shop in Clitheroe.  The chairs came without cushions and after trying them for a while we realised they were far to hard to sit on.

We found cushion foam seats from Dunhelm Mill at £4 each.  I traced around the base of the chair onto the foam and then cut it into shape with kitchen scissors.

I decided to pipe the top edge only, as I did not want to spend the rest of my life straightening the cushions.

First I made the piping, by sewing polyester rope into bought bias tape, which I ironed flat first.

I made the cotton ties, 4 per cushion.

To get the pattern I traced around the foam and added a seam allowance.

Then added the piping to the top of the cushion.

I added the side strip next, which secured the piping.

The back was made in two pieces, the pattern of which is half of the foam shape, traced around with an extra 2 inches in the middle for overlap and hemming.  I hemmed the centre of the back pieces.

I attached the bottom half first and then the top half.  When adding the top half I also added the cotton ties I had prepared.

The ties were measured carefully to make sure they did not pull when tied.

Single chair

Two chairs.

A nod to William Morris in my kitchen looking very fresh.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment