Saturday 30 March 2019

Jersey Tops 4

Tilly and the Buttons – Stretch by Tilly Walnes of Great British Sewing Bee fame, is a very popular book on the facebook forum ‘Sewing in the UK’.  My friend Liz had bought a copy and made successful raglan sleeved tops from it last summer.

Here is my first attempt at the ‘Frankie’ top in cotton jersey from Patches and Buttons.

The slightly thicker fabric sewed very well and the raglan sleeve made it a relatively easy sew.

I found the collar depth to be a bit much for me and reduced it by 2 cms.  It is mostly overlocked apart from the twin needle top sewing on the collar, cuffs and bottom hems.

So then I decided to experiment and put the Cowl neck from the ‘Freya’ sweater and dress pattern in the same book onto the ‘Frankie’ top.

It was quite fine jersey, again from Patches and Buttons.  As it was fine I thought it would drape well for the cowl neck.

It worked a treat. 

Above is a picture of the underside of the cowl neck, which was overlocked together.  It had to be done this way out as the cowl neck may show the seam otherwise.

I have worn this to death this winter, making it one of my best makes.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment